Thursday, August 7, 2014

What a difference 3-5 minutes make

This is how I started off this post last night.


We got Elsie on July 25th 2014. When we got her, we didn't know how, when, or even IF she was going to get better. Elsie was so frail and beaten, it was a wonder she was still alive.  However, the more we thought about how she was found, this little tiny dog, tromping through the woods, her back legs so atrophied from giving birth so many times, we knew that she was a fighter.


Little did I know that I would be reliving this again. This morning, Elsie slipped outside when I was bringing our pet pig in. We keep her on a leash while outside because pigs are FAST. Its a safety precaution we use. We also have a tether we use for our Fox Terrier Maddy. We are a safety first household when it comes to our pets. Now, knowing Elsie, I had no doubt in my head that I could go, put Piggers (Yes that's her name) in her house, take off her leash, and go back outside to watch Elsie.

I was wrong.

In the time it took for me to walk 25 feet, undo a leash, and close the pig door, Elsie disappeared.

Between three and five minutes MAX, that little angel, who could barely walk 2 weeks ago vanished.

The fault is 100% mine. No one else's. I SHOULD have stopped right there and had her come back in. I never have our dogs outside without constant supervision. My tenants, friends, and neighbors can attest to that. All day long, I have been calling, texting, emailing people to see if they have heard anything, and there has been nothing. We have walked for hours today, and drove around looking for her. We had an appointment this afternoon in State College that couldn't be missed, so we left. Even then, we kept in touch with Pets Come First, and other people who could help.

My thoughts were with this sweet little girl who can hardly see, gets disoriented, but has the heart of a fighter. We were driving around, putting flyers up, when we got word that there was a little girl walking around with a little dog, knocking on doors, trying to find the dogs owner. After another 20 minutes we finally found Elsie, and when she saw me, she yipped, and started wagging her tail, something she rarely did. This little girl found Elsie, and took wonderful care of her, and I will always be grateful for her. 

I guess what I am wanting to say, is that, please don't make the mistake I did. If you know your pet is going to be outside, please, be out with them and watch them. I know people will let their dogs out, and just let them go. Please, just be outside with them. They will thank you for it and they really enjoy our company. 

As always, please visit and support www.petscomefirst.org and www.happyvalleyanimalsinneed.com

Also, thank you for everyone who spread the word, and helped keep an eye out for Elsie. That's one great reason I'm proud of our community. When something happens, we look out for each other. 

Thank you.





No comments:

Post a Comment